Shih Tzus are adorable little dogs with a big attitude. When they first see you, they’ll bark and snarl but after a few minutes they’ll be glued to your leg and begging for attention. Even though Shih Tzu means little lion, they are not quite as ferocious as the big cats they are named after. When selecting the best dog beds for Shih Tzus, you have many options because you don’t have to worry about size; even a small dog bed will be spacious enough, perfect for homes tight on space.
Highly sociable and affectionate, Shih Tzus prefer to be around people or other dogs. Standing between only 9-10 inches tall and weighing around 9-16 pounds, they have a small stature that sometimes leads to them getting injured by children or other dogs playing too rough. As such, you must always keep the dog bed in an area where you can watch over them. Since Shih Tzus are so affectionate, they will always seek companionship so make sure to place the dog bed in an area where there can be lots of interaction, such as the family room.
These hairy little furballs require some daily grooming because of how often they shed. You should always be aware of the temperature since the flat shape of their face and their long coats makes them susceptible to overheating. We recommend you get a dog bed that is hair and fur resistant, but also cool and open to airflow so that your Shih Tzu won’t suffer a heatstroke.
Best Dog Beds for Shih Tzus – What to Look For
Shih Tzus are perfect for people living in small homes or apartments due to how adaptable they are to the environment. As such, you can save a lot of money buying a smaller dog bed, and this has the secondary benefit of not occupying too much space in a cramped home. Unfortunately, Shih Tzus are hairy little furballs that shed everyday and seasonally as well. As such, we recommend you look for a dog bed with at least some of these benefits:
- Hair Resistant: Unless you want to spend an exorbitant amount of time everyday cleaning off fur from your Shih Tzu’s bed, we recommend you get one that is hair resistant, with a removable cover that is machine washable.
- Cool: Shih Tzus overheat easily and will not want to stay in a bed that is too warm. You may find them preferring to lay down on the wood or laminate floor and it’s not necessarily because they like it better than soft foam. In this case, you may have to get a flat mattress or a cooling pad on top of the bed to entice them back into the dog bed.
- Water Resistant: Shih Tzus are not easy to housebreak, and if not properly trained they may decide to pee in their dog bed. Make the clean-up process significantly easier with a water-resistant bed, otherwise the urine could seep deep into the cover and foam material and it will be nearly impossible to get it out.
- Soft: Some common health problems Shih Tzus experience are patella luxation and hip dysplasia. You can reduce the chances of this occurring, or if your dog is already affected by it, then you can alleviate some of the pain with a soft foam that can conform to their body’s curves.
Best Dog Beds for Shih Tzu Review
JOYELF Orthopedic Dog Bed
The JOYELF Orthopedic dog bed is one of our favorite dog beds for Shih Tzus for numerous reasons. First, the 2” memory foam base provides comfort by conforming to your dog’s body and providing a good night’s rest. The bolsters surrounding the bed provide a sense of shelter and can be used to rest his head and provide optimal neck support. The “small” size is recommended for puppies or small adults, and for dogs over 15 pounds you should consider upsizing to a “medium”.
The interior line is waterproof and ideal for elderly dogs or Shih Tzus that have not yet been house trained properly. What’s more, the cover is also made from a flame-retardant material which may be overkill but nice to have regardless. Don’t worry about your dog dragging his bed around thanks to the non-skid rubber backing which will keep it where you placed it.
Lastly, clean-up is a breeze thanks to the fully machine washable removable cover; just don’t let it soak too long and leave to air dry. Hair is easy to spot and remove from the cover, so that should be done prior to placing in the washing machine. Overall a solid bed for your Shih Tzu.
- Memory foam padding contours to the shape of the body for comfort
- Flame-retardant materials for extra safety
- Bolters provide a headrest and a sense of shelter
- Fully machine washable cover
- A user reported that the foam has an unusual smell that takes some time to get out
Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed
During the summer months, your dog will want to sleep on a cool surface. Let’s make sure that they choose to sleep in their dog bed and not on the wood or laminate floor just to keep cool, because that would be damaging to their joints. The Coolaroo Elevated pet bed features an off-the-ground design that allows air to flow in from all directions, even down below the bed. The breathable fabric ensures that no hot spots will develop even when your pet sleeps all night.
This minimal bed is lightweight and resistant to mold and mildew, as well as fleas and mites. You can also easily carry it around for both indoor or outdoor use. The suspended design provides comfort to your dog’s joints, and the powder-coated steel frame is durable and can hold pets of all sizes, especially a Shih Tzu.
- Easy to assemble
- Provides lots of air flow to cool down your Shih Tzu on a hot summer day
- Resistant to mildew and mold
- Portable for indoor and outdoor use
- A user reports that the screws holding the frame together can loosen over time and requires occasional tightening
- A larger, heavier dog may stretch the mesh over time, however a small Shih Tzu simply isn’t heavy enough
Brindle Soft Memory Foam Dog Bed
Since Shih Tzus are so small, their short stubby legs can sometimes find it difficult to reach elevated areas. Even a dog bed with large bolsters and an entrance several inches off the floor might make it difficult for an elderly Shih Tzu or puppy to enter. In this case, a flat mattress like the Brindle Soft Memory Foam dog bed is ideal.
First, it has a 3” orthopedic memory foam base that eliminates pressure points and provides comfort. The simple flat design makes it very portable, so you can take it with you from room to room in your house so that your Shih Tzu can always be where the family is gathered. The soft, yet supportive material will reduce pain caused by arthritis, achy joints, or hip dysplasia.
We recommend purchasing the 28”x18” size, which is ideal for small dog breeds like the Shih Tzu or Dachshund. The soft micro suede cover can be removed and machine washed, making sure to use the gentle cycle and to dry on low heat, but don’t wash the foam pad. The Brindle Soft comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- 3” Orthopedic memory foam is easy on the joints and comfortable
- Waterproof and machine washable cover
- Comes with a 3-year limited warranty
- Not chew or scratch resistant, an aggressive chewer or digger may destroy the bed
- Users report the larger versions of this bed are not adequately filled with foam, however the small versions don’t have this issue