The Bernese Mountain Dog, also known by many as the Berner, is a friendly, loving, and big dog that is widely recognized by its tricolor coat and white chest. Not many owners can match their Berner’s energy levels as they were originally used as herders to run around in large, open fields driving cattle and acting as a watchdog.
Bernese mountain dogs are very large, standing at a height between 23 to 28 inches tall, and weighing between 70 to 115 pounds, with males on the higher end of that range and females on the lower end. When selecting the best dog beds for Bernese mountain dogs, you will have to get the biggest, most spacious dog bed you can find. Berners hate being cooped up, so an open design would be ideal.
One thing you have to worry about in regards to large dogs is their potential destructive behavior. You have to make sure your Berner gets enough companionship with family or other pets because they don’t like being alone. You also have to make sure your pet gets at least 30 minutes of exercise a day, and even more is better, otherwise he will have too much energy leftover. If his social and exercise needs are not met, he may start barking, digging, and chewing everything around him – something no dog bed can withstand.
Best Dog Beds for Bernese Mountain Dogs – What to Look For
A big dog requires a big bed, that much is certain. You will need a bed that is sturdy enough to support your Berner’s heavy weight for weeks and months without flattening. Larger dogs also often develop joint and bone problems because of all the weight their bones need to support. As such, orthopedic beds are a great option to provide the comfort they need. Some additional factors to look for in a dog bed are:
- Water-resistant: This is always a plus, but particularly for Bernese owners because these gentle giants love to drool. If you don’t help wipe their mouth from time to time, the dog slobber is going to get all over the bed, so being waterproof or resistant makes cleaning up easier.
- Hair-resistant: Berners have such beautiful, majestic and thick coats but that also means they shed a lot! Expect them to shed everyday, but especially more in the Spring and Fall. Ideally, the dog bed is hair-resistant to make cleaning up easier as well.
- Cool: As beautiful as their coat is, it makes them prone to overheating and getting heatstroke, so they need a dog bed where they can literally chill out on.
- Spacious: Not all dogs sleep the same way; some like to curl up, but if a Berner wants to sleep completely stretched out, you’re going to need the biggest bed you can find.
Best Dog Beds for Bernese Mountain Dogs Review
For each bed that we review, you should look to get the large or extra large size (or jumbo or whatever the biggest size is) otherwise the bed may be too small. You can also consider getting additional accessories, such as a cooling pad or gel pad inserts to help keep your dog cool on a hot summer night.
Better World Pets Orthopedic Dog Bed
An orthopedic dog bed such as this one is perfect for relieving the aching joints that affect a lot of big dogs by cushioning the pressure points and giving them a good night’s rest. The shredded-memory foam conforms to the shape of your dog’s body, and is both soft yet firm enough to provide support.
The waterproof lining on the cover will protect the foam base from being drenched in Berner drool as well as incontinence. The cover is fully removable and can be machine washed for easy cleaning. The Better World Pets orthopedic dog bed comes with a 1 year money back guarantee, which lets you get a full-refund as long as you send the product back – no questions asked. With a guarantee like that, it’s hard not to recommend this orthopedic dog bed.
- Memory foam provides premium comfort to dogs suffering from joint pain, arthritis, and hip dysplasia
- Waterproof, machine washable cover
- Hair-resistant microfiber cover
- 1 year no questions asked money-back guarantee
- Some users feel that the bed is too stiff for their dog
- One user reported that the bed is quite noisy when their dog shuffles around on it
BarkBox Memory Foam Dog Bed
The BarkBox memory foam dog bed has all the features of a quality dog bed: high-grade ergonomic memory foam, a water-resistant cover, and even a secondary top cover that provides extra comfort and is machine washable. All of these layers add up to a dog bed that is indulgently supportive and ideal for dogs with arthritis or sensitive joints.
Customers who have had trouble with this bed have reported having a pleasant experience with BarkBox’s customer service. One customer complained about receiving a defective bed that didn’t expand to the right thickness, and was offered a replacement bed free of charge. Another customer reported that their dog accidentally pottied on the cover, and the waterproof cover was able to completely stop any leakage from reaching the bottom pad.
- Ergonomic memory-foam provides maximum comfort
- Waterproof cover can protect against even the toughest of spills
- Supports all sleeping positions
- A small amount of customers reported that when the memory foam expands after unboxing, it may be slightly below the advertised thickness
Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
The Milliard Premium dog bed has a base that is composed of two layers of dense foam: 2 inches of polyurethane and 2 inches of memory foam for an effective combination that will not flatten over time. The foam is designed for providing a good night’s sleep even for dogs with arthritis or joint issues, both of which are common among Bernese mountain dogs.
We wouldn’t be recommending this bed if it didn’t also have a waterproof cover that is completely washable and dryable and will not shrink in the process. The cover is also lined with a TPU coating which makes it anti-microbial.
- Soft yet firm memory foam, will not flatten
- Conforms to the shape of your dog’s body
- Anti-microbial cover that is machine washable and water-resistant
- Can be smelly out of the box
- Some users claim the cover is not waterproof, but water-resistant